Buscar este blog

martes, 3 de abril de 2012

Exercises of English IV PART-A UNITS 11-12


UNIVERSIDAD TECNOLOGICA DE SANTIAGO
UTESA

English IV
Exercises of English IV
PART-A
UNITS 11-12

Grammar
-ing form & infinitive
-Complete with the right verb form.
I like listening (listen) to pop music
  1. We’ve decided (help) him tomorrow.
  2. I’m into (buy) comfortable clothes.
  3. Where would you like (travel) in the future?
  4. What are you planning (do) next summer?
  5. I can’t stand (wear) a suit and a tie.
  6. I love (look) smart and fashionable.
  7. You don’t need (go) again.
  8. I think it’s worth (get) quality clothes.
  9. I’m learning (drive).
  10. I enjoy (play) with my children.
-Choose the correct verb form.
I hate … .
a) study b) studying c) to studying
  1. I don’t mind … .
a) driving b) to drive c) drive
  1. Do you expect … all your exams?
a) to pass b) pass c) passing
  1. Are you happy … here?
a) be b) being c) to be
  1. for clothes is very boring.
a) Shop b) Shopping c) To shop
  1. Aren’t you bored of … the same thing?
a) do b) to do c) doing
  1. It’s not easy … this decision..
a) take b) taking c) to take
  1. I want … in South America.
a) to live b) living c) live
  1. English is difficult for Spaniards.
a) Learn b) Learning c) Learns
  1. the clothes I like gives me confidence.
a) Wearing b) To wear c) Wear
  1. Pleased … meet you.
a) meet b) to meeting c) to meet
Adjective order
-Put the words in the right order.
a shirt green cotton = a green cotton shirt
  1. a blue secondhand pair of leather shoes
  2. a young girl Spanish
  3. a wood new brown table
  4. a pair of socks black very old cotton
  5. a silk trendy white shirt
Vocabulary
Clothes & styles
-Match the words in the columns.
long hair - hippy
  1. Warm-up suit a) exclusive
  2. suit and tie b) trendy
  3. piercing c) smart
  4. designer labels d) scruffy
  5. old clothes e) sporty
-Choose the right verb.
I like wearing / carrying comfortable clothes.
  1. You look / appear really different.
  2. That shirt fits / matches him very well.
  3. You should wear something that fits / matches your shoes.
  4. Jeans don’t suit / go with ties.
  5. You seem / look very smart in that suit.
Clothes shopping
-Make sentences from prompts.
I buy / these / jeans. I / like / return them.
I bought these jeans and I’d like to return them.
A: Good morning. I / look for / leather jacket.
B: You / like / this one? It / should / fit / you / very well.
A: OK. Could / I / try / on?
B: Of course.
A: I / think / be / too tight. You / have / big / size?
B: Why / not you / take off / and try / this other one?
A: This one /fit / me / really well.
B: Yes, and / I / think / it / really / goes with / your hair color.
A: How much / then?
B: It’s in the sale–$25.
A: Fine. I / take / it.
B: How / you / like / pay ?
A: Credit card.
B: Certainly, if you could just step this way …

Error analysis
-Find and correct the mistakes
I like go going shopping.
  1. I like this shirt. Can I try it, please?
  2. She needs be more optimistic about things.
  3. I can’t help to watch so much TV.
  4. I’ll try study harder in the future.
  5. I bought some plastic, new and yellow shoes in the street market.

Grammar
Supposition: could, might, may, must, can’t
-Complete the sentences with the correct modal verb.
He works in a hospital. He must be a doctor.
  1. If it doesn’t rain, we … go for a picnic tomorrow.
  2. He … be an important person. He has three bodyguards.
  3. I … go to Peru next summer but I’m not sure.
  4. What shall we do tonight? We … eat out and then go dancing.
  5. She … be tired, she’s done nothing all day!
-Rewrite the sentences using the verbs in brackets.
Maybe we’ll go out tonight. (might)
We might go out tonight
  1. Perhaps he’ll come soon. (may)
  2. I’ll probably be here tomorrow. (might)
  3. I’m not sure if that’ll happen. (could)
  4. The lights are off so it’s almost certain he’s not at home. (can’t)
  5. I suppose that’s his brother because he really looks like him. (must)
-ed / -ing adjectives
-Choose the right adjective.
This film is very boring / bored.
  1. I’m interested / interesting in animals.
  2. This city is depressing / depressed.
  3. He’s going to Disney World soon. Imagine how excited / exciting he is.
  4. I had a frightened / frightening experience yesterday.
  5. I was surprised / surprising to hear the news.
  6. When will this appalling / appalled war end?
  7. It was very disappointing / disappointed to see him lose the match.
  8. The city streets are very dirty. It’s disgusting / disgusted.
  9. His job is very tiring / tired.
  10. Working with children is satisfying / satisfied.



Vocabulary
Transport
-Match the words in the columns.
traffic - jam
  1. get to a) the city / town
  2. get around / about b) the office to the gym
  3. get on / off c) traffic
  4. get from d) school
5 be / get stuck in e) the bus …


Opinions
-Choose the right option.
I … that he’s a very good student.
a) expect b) agree c) sympathise
  1. I … to see you soon.
a) hope b) think c) know
  1. Do you … he’s intelligent?
a) hope b) think c) agree with
  1. I … with the anti-globalisation movement.
a) sympathise b) think c) feel sorry
  1. What I … is that people should be more tolerant.
a) mean b) agree c) know
  1. Do you … with his idea?
a) mean b) agree c) expect
  1. Are you … they will come tomorrow?
a) sure b) supposed c) agree
  1. Do you … what I mean?
a) agree b) think c) know
  1. You can’t … to learn English in three months.
a) expect b) hope c) think
  1. Bill Gates is very rich. …, he’s a millionaire.
a) because b) so c) in fact
  1. He looks very young but he’s … 56.
a) actually b) to be honest c) in fact
Future plans (10 points)
-Put this dialogue in the correct order.
A: What are you up to next weekend?
B: Thanks. See you on Friday.
A: It really doesn’t matter. If we can’t go swimming, we’ll walk on the beach and just relax in the ocean air.
B: Nothing special. What have you got planned?
A: Friday morning, 7 a.m. at John’s. He’s driving.
B: Wonderful! I’m looking forward to it.
A: What are you up to next weekend?
B: I’d love to. But, there may be a problem. The weather forecast said it might be cold and wet over the weekend.
B: OK, then. When and where shall we meet?
A: We’re off to the beach. Would you like to come with us?
Error analysis
-Find and correct the mistakes
I might to go home tomorrow
  1. We were all exhausting after work.
  2. I’m agree with you.
  3. I think in him every day.
  4. Could computers to control us in the future?
  5. I was annoying with him because he didn’t speak to me.


A: I’m sure we’ll have a great time. Don’t forget to bring some warm clothes.




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario