Buscar este blog

martes, 3 de abril de 2012

Exercises of English I, PART- AUNITS 5-6

Exercises of English I

PART- A
UNITS 5-6

Grammar
Ability: can, can't

-Complete the table with the verbs from the box according to your abilities.
sing / play golf / do karate / ski / ride a horse / speak Chinese / tell good jokes / dance the tango / play a musical instrument / use a computer /
speak English
I can …
I can't …

very well
a little

speak English

-Make five sentences about what you can't or can do a little / very well using verbs from table.
I can speak English a little.
Past Simple
-Put the verbs in the right form of the Simple Past.
What (you do) yesterday? (I visit) my family.
What did you do yesterday? I visited my family.
Where (you go) yesterday?
(I go) to the movies.
What (he eat) for breakfast this morning?
(He have) cornflakes and milk.
What time (they start) school last Monday?
(They not go) to school on Monday.
Who (you play) chess with yesterday?
(I not play) chess, (I bicycle) with my friends.
(You have) a good weekend?
Yes, thanks. (I travel) to Orlando. (It be) great!

Present Continuous: be + -ing

-Make and answer questions about future plans using the prompts.

What / he / do / tomorrow?
What's he doing tomorrow?
He / do / homework.
He's doing his homework.
What / they / do / next weekend?
They / go / country.
You / leaving / tomorrow morning?
No / We / stay / here / tomorrow.
Where / she / go / this afternoon?
She / visit / friends.
John / come with you / party / Friday?
No / he / take / daughter / zoo.
You / do / anything / Saturday evening?
I / skate board / brother.

Countable & uncountable nouns

-Complete with a, an, some, any & a pair of.

We're camping, so bring a tent,
You need … walking shoes to go trekking.
Take … suntan lotion, we're going to the beach.
It's raining, do you have … umbrella?
Is there … food in the refrigerator? I'm hungry.
Can you play … musical instrument?
I need to buy …boots to go to the mountains.
I'd like to have … coffee, please.
I have … idea! How about eating out?
"Do you have … money?" "Sorry, I don't."
I can ride … bike very well.

Vocabulary
Skills

-Match the words in the columns. More than one answer may be possible.

Use the most common answers.

1 - a
cooka) in the kitchen
danceb) in a pool
goc) a boat
campd) shopping
go on a picnice) in the shower
swimf) in a tent
skig) at the disco
readh) time, money
hirei) in the country
singj) the newspaper
spendk) in the mountains
-Cross out the odd one out.
drink
a) waterb) a cokec) breakfast
watch
a) a movieb) TVc) a newspaper
weather
a) timeb) coldc) rain
ride
a) a bikeb) a poolc) a horse
play
a) instrumentsb) sportsc) bikes
have
a) a good timeb) hungryc) supper
camping
a) sleeping bagb) rainc) change of clothes
go
a) joggingb) yogac) sailing
leave
a) the houseb) moneyc) a message
arrive
a) in Chicagob) homec) to the United States
How is the weather?
a) amazingb) greatc) time

Planning a weekend
-Put this dialogue in the right order.

A: Hi, Peter. What are you doing?
A:No, I'm afraid she isn't. She isn't feeling very well.
B:I'm just watching television.
B:Nothing special. Why? Do you have any plans?
A:What are you doing on the weekend?
B:Great! I'd love to. How about camping near the beach?
B:What a shame! I really like her.
A:Yeah, I'm thinking of spending the weekend at the beach.
B:What about Mary? Is she going too?
A:Well, these things happen! Don't forget your swimsuit!
A:Excellent! I love camping.
B:Who are you going with?
A:Some people from school.

A weekend away
-Complete the dialogue with the phrases from the box.

Yes, absolutely. It was a wonderful weekend.
When did you leave?
Where did you stop?
When did you come back?
Where did you go?
Were you tired?
How long did the ride take you?
Yes, we did. The car had a flat tire.
We stopped by the road to change it and then continued.
What was skiing like?
A: So, how was your weekend?

A: So, how was your weekend?
B:It was great.
A:…
B:I went skiing in Vail with some friends.
A:…
B:It was difficult but fun.
A:…
B:On Friday morning at about 9 o'clock.
A:…
B:On Sunday night.
A:…
B:Yes, we were very tired!
A:…
B:About seven or eight hours.
A:…
B:We stopped for lunch in San Francisco. Beautiful city!
A:Did you have any problems?
B:…
A:What did you do then?
B:…
A:But you had a good time?
B:…

Error analysis
-Find and correct the mistakes.

We're staying in an a hotel.
Can you to play soccer very well?
Did you travelled to New England last summer?
What do you do next weekend?
Was you very tired last night?
I arrive at three o'clock yesterday.

Grammar
Ability: can, can't, could, couldn't

-Complete the sentences with can / can't or could / couldn't.

Can you repeat, please?
He … play the guitar but he … sing very well.
… you finish your homework last night?
Sorry I … visit you last Monday.
She wants to do it, but she … .
I … go out yesterday because I had work to do.
Past Simple
-Put the verbs in parentheses in the Simple Past.
A love story
One evening about three weeks ago, I 1 go to the club with my friends. There, I 2 see a beautiful girl. I 3 fall in love immediately and
4 decide to meet her. So I 5 spend a long time speaking to her. But later, a boy 6 appear and she 7 give him a very romantic kiss. Then I 8 pay for the drinks and 9 leave the club. That really 10 break my heart.

-Make and answer questions in the Simple Past using the prompts.

Where / you / go / yesterday?
I / go / movies.
Where did you go yesterday?
I went to the movies.
You / catch / the bus / this morning?
No / I / drive.
What / he / find / street / Sunday night?
He / find / 3,000 dollars.
You / see / your brother / yesterday night?
No / but / I / call / him.
Where / she / lose / her / camera / last weekend?
She / lose / it / museum.
What / they / buy / three days ago?
They / buy / some clothes / books.Comparatives & superlatives

-Make comparative sentences with the nouns and adjectives below.
E-mails & letters (fast)
E-mails are faster than letters.

grandparents & parents (old)
Puerto Rico & Russia (hot)
buses & planes (cheap)
air in the country & air in the city (fresh)
Italians & Americans (relaxed)
a hotel & a tent (comfortable)
reading English & speaking English (easy)
Japanese & English (difficult)
computers & typewriters (useful)
cats & elephants (small)

-Write the superlative form of the adjectives.

famous: the most famous
fast
important
tall
popular
big
rich
expensive
cold
fine
long

-Make sentences with the nouns below and the right superlative adjectives from exercise 5. Or choose your own adjectives.

The Beatles (music band):
The Beatles are the most famous music band in the world.
Mount Everest (mountain)
the Nile (river)
the Concord (plane)
Mexico City (city)
Coca-Cola (drink)
the USA (country)
Rolls Royces (cars)
Greenpeace (ecological organization)
gold (metal)
the Poles (areas)

Vocabulary
Physical descriptions

-Make descriptions using the nouns and adjectives below.

John: thin, bald, nice smile
John's thin and bald. He has a nice smile.
Mary: short, slim, blue eyes
Peter: red hair, tall, fat
Anne: pretty, hazel eyes, long hair
Richard: green eyes, blonde hair, very thin
Tom: medium-height, a little bit fat, dark eyes
Look like & like

-Choose the right verb.

I'd like / look like playing soccer.
What would you like / look like to do?
I'd like / look like to go shopping.
What does he like / look like?
He's very tall and slim and likes / looks like his
brother.
What do they look like / like doing on weekends?'
They like / look like traveling.
Does your brother like / look like your father?
No, he doesn't. He looks like / likes our mother.
Do you like / look like very thin men?
No, I don't. I look like / like slim men.
Household objects

-Match the words and the descriptions.

satellite TV / central heating / hi-fi / television /
e-mail / answering machine / video recorder / cell phone / washing machine / microwave / refrigerator
You put food in this appliance. refrigerator
You use this when it's cold.
With this appliance you can listen to music.
A message you send or receive through the internet.
When a friend isn't at home you can leave him / her a message here.
You can take this wherever you go and speak to people from the distance.
You use this machine when food is cold.
The appliance that you use when your clothes aren't clean.
With this machine you can watch a movie when you want.
Many people spend too much time watching it.
This is what you need to watch CNN or BBC if you don't live in the US or the UK.

Error analysis
-Find and correct the mistakes.

My car is more big bigger than your car.
Could you to see your brother yesterday?
I eat pizza for supper last night.
He's the more intelligent person in my class.
Anne's prettyer than Mary.
Food in the past was tastier that today.



Enviado desde mi BlackBerry® de VIVA

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario